Monday 30 November 2009

Mangoes & Cream Ice Cream


I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!!! Oh yes we do, especially if it involves mangoes... I am loving the mangoes available right now. They are so decadent and summery, and I've wanted to make my own ice cream for ages, so yesterday I finally got the chance :)
I bought a Sunbeam 'Snowy' on Saturday and decided to christen it yesterday using a recipe I saw on Not Quite Nigella's blog a while ago. After 25 minutes of churning the mixture had thickened but was too runny to be softserve, so I scooped it out into a container and popped it in the freezer overnight. I took it out this evening and it was well frozen, so I put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes to allow it to soften a little.
Snowy in action
I served it up using the ice cream scoop that came with the Snowy (very handy!) in martini glasses for a little 'posh factor' - another thing I've been wanting to do for ages! Thanks for the recipe, NQN (a.k.a Lorraine)! To check out the recipe, click here.
The scent was delectable and the texture was creamy but a lot denser than commercial ice-cream. The other great thing about this ice cream is that it is egg free - perfect for when my hubby's family are visiting.
Am definitely looking forward to making more ice cream in the summer months! :)
By the way, an interesting fact for you that might help when making frozen desserts like ice cream...
Did you know that cold temperatures numb the tastebuds? That's why frozen ice cream or yoghurt tastes sweeter when it's melted. So when you're making ice-cream and you want to make sure the level is sweetness is right for you before you churn and freeze it, just remember - having it on the sweeter side is fine because when you eat it frozen it won't taste as sweet.

Ladybird x

7 comments:

  1. Mmmm, mangoes definitely embody summer for me =)

    And on an unrelated note, I've given you a blog award! Please swing by to pick it up, as I couldn't find an email address to send it to you directly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so so yummy! I have been trying to convince Mr BBB that we should purchase an icecream maker for some time now with no success. As he loves mangoes - perhaps I could tempt him with the promise of this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. That's a really interesting fact about ice-cream...it makes sense! Cool, now I learned something new! :-)

    Mango ice-cream is my brother's favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the shoutout Anna! I hope you liked the ice cream and making ice cream is so much fun for Summer! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa!

    Well Christmas is approaching... so a subtle hint or two to the hubby might be good ;) hehe Besides - he will reap the "frozen benefits"!

    Plus, the Snowy was only A$50 - not bad!

    Ladybird x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails