Sunday 22 November 2009

Pizza e Birra, Surry Hills

Last night we hosted Mr Ladyrbird's 30th birthday party in the function room on the top floor of our apartment block. We had a really great night with our friends and family :) The champagne was flowing, we had loads of scrummy vegetarian fingerfood, and of course, the obligatory birthday cake! I will be posting an entry about Mr Ladybird's birthday cake once I get some good pics, so stay tuned...

But anyway, after a very late night I woke up about 11am and started the cleanup feeling quite well rested and energetic.. until 3pm when DOH hit.. What's DOH?... Delayed Onset Hangover. The cure? Serious coffee and serious pizza.


So we headed for a pizza place in Surry Hills that we had noticed last weekend whilst visiting Yullis. I really liked the vibe at Pizza e Birra, and the staff were sooo lovely. First thing we guzzled down some cold water (how hot was it today?!) and then we nursed the BEST skim lattes we've had in a while... Seriously- worth a visit just for the coffee!

Then came the pizza. Now- I always think that if you're trying out a new pizza place you should try a Margherita pizza - it's a true litmus test :) The margherita at Pizza e Birra was excellent - the pizza base was thin, very tasty and had a nice crunch to it on the edge. The tomato base was juuust right with just the right amount of garlic.


Our second pizza was the Funghi, topped with leeks and mushrooms and just the right amount of gorgonzola (can be v. overpowering). Again, the pizza base was good. I had never had this combination till today and I loved it.

I would have to say that Pizza e Birra's pizza is as good as the pizzas at Hugo's in Kings Cross. The price is about the same. But to be honest the parking near Hugo's is a total nightmare, nor do I feel particulary safe in the Cross and there is always the niggling worry over whether or not your car is being broken into during your meal!. Comparatively, no such problems in Surry Hills, so Pizza e Birra gets my vote on all accounts :)


Pizza e Birra
500 Crown St, Surry Hills
http://www.pizzabirra.com.au/ (nothing on the website but perhaps menu coming soon?)

Pizza E Birra on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about this place! Thanks for the report on the pizzas and I agree margartia is a good test of the base and basics like the sauce and cheese :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks so much for coming by my blog!
    I love finding places which sell great veggie food, i was amazed when i recently found a pizza shop that puts vegan cheese and meat on their pizzas.
    About your last post, is that a new show? because i sware i use to watch one the same or very similar which i use to really enjoy. i must look it up :)

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hrmm I think it's a new show, but I could be wrong!

    Perhaps i've bn slow to discover it?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails